Pages

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

More summer



















Gosh, I'm not even sure where to go after that last post. Matthew originally wanted to start his own blog which I discouraged because... well, he's nine. We compromised by promising him he could occasionally post on our family blog. There you have it.

About a month ago we went on an impromptu walk/hike with some good friends. We found ourselves in a field full of poppies and iris.


We have not been able to do a whole lot of traveling this summer. Having a new baby has changed our routine and then having her so sick - we have just not gone anywhere. Steve's work schedule has also prohibited summer wanderings. So a few nights ago while I was trying to convince my girls to go to sleep, I was thinking about how my children are so deprived and missing out on some big ol' summer vacation. I really shouldn't be worrying about stuff like that, but I'm really good at "mother guilt." Then, very recently I reconnected with a friend from my teenage years and she wrote a great post reminiscing about summers of her youth. It brought back a flood of memories for me. It was then that I realized that I do have fond memories of summer vacations. (Kudos to my wonderful and very brave mother. She planned and executed family trips with six kids!! I can barely make it through Walmart with three.) I have even more sweet memories, though, of the good every-day stuff. I love thinking about summer days. Riding the red bike with the sparkly banana seat. Staying up late and playing red light / green light on the nextdoor neighbor's hill. Late evening walks to 7-11. Watching shows like "Into the Woods" and "Singing in the Rain." There's just too much rolling around in my memory to even get the tip of the proverbial iceberg, but in the end it's just a wonderful jumble of sweet summer memories.


I guess my hope is that life doesn't ever get so busy and hectic that we forget the good summer stuff. I hope that my kids will grow up and have great, happy memories of family vacations, but that they will also have just good, comforting memories of summer.

2 comments:

lydiaoutnumbered said...

Don't forget long walks around the neighborhood and making embarrassing noises only to come around the corner and find someone out in their yard within hearing distance. Or kicking a rock and singing "one one was a race horse" for blocks!

Amy and Micheal said...

I love your posts Mary! It just makes me miss you guys even more. Sorry that Bailey has been so ill. I wish I could be there to help you out.

Tell Matthew that I look forward to his few posts that he gets to do!