Pages

Friday, June 24, 2011

Haircut


Above is Rachel's preschool picture that was taken a bit before the end of the year. Yep, that's my baby. Well, over a year and a half ago my baby decided that she wanted to get her hair cut short. At that time her hair was still very curly and I couldn't bear to cut off the long ringlets. I pretty much told her that I really, really, really wanted her to wait until the curls were gone (or almost gone) before making the chop. (Both my sister and I had curly hair until 4 or 5 and I could tell Rachel's curls were relaxing so I assumed her hair would do the same as ours did.) She agreed to wait and enjoy her "princess hair." She has revisited the hair cut issue many times and we continued to put it on hold. Well, back in May we took Steve and Matt for haircuts. I don't really recall why we all went, but we did. While we waited for the boys' cuts, Rachel decided that she really was ready for the big cut. Steve was immediately on board. He asked me if I was ready. I figured I'd never really be ready, so why not go for the gold.



Here's the obligatory back view of that long hair. We really hadn't planned the haircut or I would have done a little more to it -- it was looking a little on the stringy side. When it was wet, it about reached her waist. Our cute friend who did the haircut put it in a pony tail and made the first big cut. Rach didn't even flinch. I did alright, too. :)



Rachel was as happy as a clam! I wondered if she'd have a moment of shock or even remorse -- nope! Not even close. Look at that smile.




Rachel LOVES her short hair. It is so much easier to brush (which is the best part according to her), it's cooler, and it's so stinking cute. It took me a minute to get used to it, because I think she looks so much older now, but I love it, too. Darling haircut for my darling girl.

3 comments:

Sonja Larsen said...

So so cute!!! I love it she really is darling.

Kimberlee said...

Wow! That is A LOT of hair. I'm with you. I cringe every time Chloee talks about how maybe she should cut her hair. Oh no, no, no. Hers is to her behind wet and to the mid back dry and it has all the natural curl, wave in it, like Rachel. Way to be strong, Mary! It does look super cute on her though!

Sarah said...

She looks darling! I reminds me of Ryann at 4 cutting off her own curly locks. I was so sad, but she was so happy. The curls are coming back now that she is a teenager. So maybe Rachels will come back too.