Pages

Friday, May 27, 2011

Memorial Day

I love the musical Les Miserables. I have seen it three times and would love to see it another three. Every aspect of the show is moving and inspiring. The question is who do you relate to? Are you Val Jean, running from your past or are you Javert, trying to live the letter of the law and having lost all human compassion. Who is right and who is wrong? Les Miserables brings me a lot of comfort and healing. I can, in some way, relate to every character.

I have been doing some reflecting as of late. Maybe it is because we are about to celebrate Memorial Day. I have lost a lot of friends, family, associates, etc.. due to health, self inflicted, accident, age or war. I often wonder what life would be like if I was in the car that night with my friend or why didn't God give me the cancer instead. I feel guilty, at times, for they are gone, but yet I live. I appreciate what I have and I make for damn sure that I work hard so nothing is in vain. So again, as we approach this time of remembering our losses and the emotions that it brings, I am again reminded of Les Miserables. There is a small scene where Marius is in the room where all his friends laughed, played, planned the revolution. After the attacks at the barricade he is deeply troubled; troubled due to the fact that he lost all his friends. He takes one moment and reflects on their lives. He, in essence, has his Memorial Day. You see, he feels guilty that he lives, and yet his friends are gone. He questions their sacrifice, all the while questioning himself. He sings "Empty chairs at empty tables" and I think this is the best song ever written for someone who is suffering from survivors guilt or someone who is still morning a loss. The words are comforting, healing, and honest. Marius comes to terms with his loss, copes and moves forward. I am grateful for that small, but powerful scene demonstrated so beautifully the emotions we go through with a loss.

I would ask anyone who reads this post, to take a moment, reflect on your loss, honor the dead and listen to this song which I have provided and have your own private Memorial Day.

1 comments:

Kimberlee said...

Absolutely beautifully written. It made me cry, reflect and then cry once again. I have never seen Les Mis in person but I own the movie and I love it. This post was very heart felt and it was exactly what I needed today. It seems I say that a lot on your blog.