Pages

Friday, August 1, 2008

Ahhh, Sibling Rivalry...



Matthew and Rachel are six years apart. I really thought that having such a big gap between the two that I wouldn't see a lot of sibling rivalry. I didn't think I'd be the resident referee breaking up fights over who touched whom and who took what from the other whom. At this moment my mind is overflowing with memories of car rides & fighting over who got to sit by the window, crying a little harder than necessary so that Jeff would maybe get in a little more trouble for hitting me, and hours of "got you last." I truly thought that my kids would be in such different stages that we would avoid some of that. Yah-- I was wrong.
I have so quickly learned that personality plays so much more into these things than just age. I do have to say that Matt and Rachel really aren't too bad, but it's funny how these siblings will always find something to bicker over. Earlier today Matthew tried to write something to post. He had just started when Rachel decided to do headstands right next to him and somehow bumped him or the computer causing him to publish the totally unfinished post. He was not a happy camper.
Despite their moments of rivalry, they are great kids and actually have a very sweet bond. Matthew prayed for a little sister (or brother) for three years before Rachel joined us. He is a wonderful big brother and she absolutely adores him. Matt may like to talk (or write Ü) about his "naughty" and "pesky" little sister, but at the end of they day they snuggle on the recliner while he reads to her and all the day's troubles are forgotten.

0 comments: