Pages

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

OUCH!

Last week we were outside enjoying the fantastic summer weather. I took the girls out to play in the water with some of our very cute neighbors. Rachel was going down a little slide into a wading poor, and somehow, turned her foot as she landed. She cried for a few minutes and then hobbled off to play for a few more minutes. Not too unusual. What was unusual was when she crawled back into my lap and said she was done playing because her foot hurt too badly. She wouldn't walk or even put any weight on it. I carried her in, gave her some Motrin and decided to watch it. The next morning she still wouldn't walk on it, so we took her into the doctor.
Several x-rays later, he concluded that he couldn't see a fracture. Yay! (I spent all the previous night with horrible visions of Rachel in a cast for the remainder of the summer.) The doc said it's a ligament injury and put her in a leg splint for a week. At the end of the week, we'll take her back for a follow-up. Doc mentioned they may take more x-rays to make sure nothing else shows up.
That day when we got home from the doctor, the spoiling started. Steve went and picked up a Happy Meal for the injured gal. That afternoon, he took Matt and Rachel to see Toy Story 3.



That night was a rough one. Rachel was pretty restless and uncomfortable. Baliey didn't sleep well at all, either, and we just assumed that Rach was keeping her roommate up. The next morning, however, it seemed like Bailey was getting a cold. Holy Cow! By that next night Bailey had a raging fever and was having an increasingly difficult time breathing. So, in the wee hours of the morning, we made a visit to the ER. They diagnosed her with croup (thank heavens the ugly RSV had not made a return), and gave her some breathing treatments. She responded well and I had some quiet, very grateful moments. I am so thankful for modern medicine and to live in a time and place where it can bless and heal my family.





So it's been a bit of a long and trying week. I have one little girl who feels great but can't get around very well and is supposed to be taking it easy. I have another little girl who has been feeling terrible and doesn't really know what she wants. Even though my house is a complete wreck, we've eaten breakfast for dinner several times, and I've had waaaay more than my share of being whined at, I am still grateful. I have some terrific kids and I'm so happy that both are healing so quickly and so well. I have to be completely honest, though, and say that I'm also grateful that we're almost through this.

0 comments: